The United Nations Development Programme is the global development network of the United Nations. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations and advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves.
Applications are invited from eligible candidates for the Internship Opportunity (Municipal Solid Waste Management Advocacy) at United Nation, New Delhi.
About the Internship:
In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, applicants may be requested to undertake the internship remotely in view of constraints regarding visa issuance, international travel and access to UN premises. Applicants must be willing and prepared to undertake the internship remotely for a part or the entirety of the internship.
The work hours during the internship shall be determined based on individual discussion between the intern and the supervisor(s) taking into consideration the minimum requirements of the Organization and the time difference between the hosting office and the location of the intern.
- The Internship is UNPAID and full-time.
- Interns work five days per week under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
- Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background; the intern’s assigned office as well as the internship period.
- Under the Supervision of the Programme Manager at the India country office , the Intern will work under overall guidance of Waste Management Expert to undertake the following activities:
- Support in technical inputs on waste and resource management with focus on circular economy;
- Support in reviewing existing guidelines and regulations;
- Develop a knowledge base of best practices, novel technologies, lessons learnt, experiences and stories to address nexus between urbanization, resource management, plastics, etc.
- Prepare presentations, sectoral flyers & brochures, tracking, reporting and management of ongoing and future assignment.
- Support trainings and workshops at national and state levels in line with agreed workplans.
- Support coordination with stakeholders and other network partners
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with Bachelor’s degree, Masters, PhD or equivalent
- Be computer literate in standard software applications.
- Have demonstrated a keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Preferred area of Studies:
Full-time enrolment in an Advanced Degree programme (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Urban Planning, Urban Development, Economics, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Environmental Engineering, Urban Governance, Regional Planning, Civil Engineering, or any other related field, is required.
No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this internship, fluency in English is required.
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration
“In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, applicants may be requested to undertake the internship remotely in view of constraints regarding visa issuance, international travel and access to UN premises. Applicants must be willing and prepared to undertake the internship remotely for a part or the entirety of the internship.”
How to apply:
Your application for this internship must include:
1. A Completed application (Personal History Profile) and Cover Note, through the UN careers Portal. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
– Title of the degree you are currently pursuing
– Graduation Date
– IT skills and programmes you are proficient in
– Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship
Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme, ensure to include all past work experience (if any).
2. Proof of enrollment from current University (if not graduated).
3. A copy of degree certificate (if you have already graduated).
Due to a high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted
Check out the OFFICIAL NOTIFICATION from here.